AMHA Launches STAR Awards Program
June 13th, 2018
Broadway has the Tonys. Music has the Grammys. Hollywood has the Oscars. But AMHA has the STARS! Beginning with the 2018 competition year, AMHA members will vie for the chance to walk the red carpet at our annual convention for a special awards event. It will be a truly unique experience making you feel honored to be involved with our beloved Morgan horses. Pick out your dress or ensemble and get ready to sparkle and shine, you do not want to miss this exciting affair!
The Star Awards Program was created to:
• Increase participation at Morgan competitions;
• Encourage all shows to become an AMHA Star Rated Show;
• Provide a FREE program as an AMHA membership benefit;
• Provide a fun, exciting venue for awards presentation at AMHA's annual convention;
• Provide additional advertising opportunities for The Morgan Horse magazine; and
• Foster good will and sportsmanship!
As with any new program, we are starting small with hopes to branch out into additional categories as well as “regional” awards in the coming years. AMHA will calculate all points and nothing is required on behalf of the exhibitor or the show.
The general rules are as follows:
1. The annual awards period is November 1 to October 31 and points will be awarded only in classes restricted to Morgan horses.
2. Horses must be registered with AMHA and the exhibitor must be a competing AMHA member.
3. Point standings may be available online at www.morganhorse.com if the current software program being developed allows.
4. Questions about prize lists should be directed to show management prior to competition. It is the exhibitor’s responsibility to understand and abide by each competition’s rules.
5. All reports of errors discovered in show results or point standings must be submitted to AMHA no later than November 1. It is each owner’s responsibility to check for accuracy. No changes will be made after the award period has closed.
6. All disputes will be resolved by the American Morgan Horse Association (AMHA).
7. Category winners will be announced no later than December 3, 2018. The 5 “high-point” division winners will be presented as part of the AMHA Awards Gala.
8. All award winners will be featured in The Morgan Horse magazine.
The inaugural awards include 18 divisional awards and 5 overall high-point awards. They include:
- Park Saddle
- Park Harness
- English Pleasure
- Pleasure Driving
- Classic Pleasure Saddle
- Classic Pleasure Driving
- Hunter Pleasure
- Western Pleasure
- Over Fences
- Western Dressage
Points will be awarded according to the chart below. Please note:
- Any class that is a qualifier is a “regular” class
- Any class that requires qualification is a “championship” class
- Any stake that does NOT require a qualification class is a “regular” class
- Any high-point status award should be given “championship” class points
- Any “restricted” class such as novice, limit, age limit or residence limit count as regular or championship, depending on the situation.
So get showing and keep showing and we’ll see you in San Antonio, Texas, February 7-9, 2019 at the AMHA Annual Convention for the STARS!
Questions about this new program should be directed to the Executive Director, Carrie J. Mortensen at the AMHA office (802) 985-4944 ext. 201.