A registered prefix is a name, word, letter, or combinations of these, preceding a name, recorded with the Register and used exclusively by the owners of Morgan horses for the purpose of distinguishing Morgans bred by them from those of other Morgan breeders.
- A prefix may be recorded with the Register providing:
- The word(s) selected as a proposed prefix cannot be the complete name of a registered Morgan horse that has lived in the last fifty years.
- The word(s) selected as a proposed prefix cannot be the complete name of a registered Morgan horse that has registered offspring
- The prefix applicant shall not have another registered prefix on record with the Register.
- The prefix application has been correctly completed and submitted with the appropriate fee
- The Register does not deem the prefix to be confusingly similar to a name or prefix previously recorded or otherwise unsuitable.
- A name, word, letter, or combination of these, preceding a name, not recorded as a prefix with the Register, may be used by other breeders, until registered for the exclusive use of one breeder.
- A registered prefix can only be used by the recorded owner of that prefix. The recorded owner of a prefix may grant permission, in writing and on file with the Register, to designated person(s) to allow use of that prefix.